Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Gifts

Last Christmas Reid got this: his very own, hand-crafted guitar.

Well, he actually got it a few months before Christmas, but it was for Christmas...and our Anniversary...and his Birthday...and Father's Day...and Labor Day...


Anyway, I just realized that I never really blogged about it, or, more importantly, about my amazing brother-in-law, Tom, who made it!!!! He has a very natural talent for instrument making. It blows my mind! When he's not at the middle school teaching the special needs kids, or home taking such great care of my sister Cynthia, who has M.S., he's sure to be found in his garage working on some new creation. He's a saint of a man, and it makes me so happy to see him have this little hobby that he enjoys it so much.


So, just in case any of you are in need of a Christmas gift idea, Tom would gladly custom-make you a guitar in time for the holidays!!!

OR, if you're in need of a slightly more economical gift this year, and you know someone with a small business they're trying to start, you could do what we did for Tom last year. He'd been wanting a website to post pictures of all his guitars, but didn't know where to start. So, since we had their names last year, we got him started with his very own guitar website-- TomsGuitars. And, to help get his name out there, we had these business cards made up, and sent him half of the pile.
As part of the gift we divided the other half of cards amongst all my siblings, Reid's siblings, and anyone else we thought might use them, and put them in an envelope with instructions to hand them out freely. It was a really fun gift to give, and Tom really appreciated the work we'd put into it, since his free-time is limited, to say the least.
Anyway, I know I'm not the only one with Christmas on the mind...so, maybe this is just the idea that someone out there was looking for!! You're very welcome.
The guitar Tom made for Reid is beautiful, and plays so well. We are so happy to finally have one of Tom's instruments in our home!!! To be perfectly honest, this guitar was really a gift for me. I love few things more than Reid serenading me on his guitar. I have such great memories of him singing to me when we were dating, and at our wedding. I love to hear him sing to the girls. He is amazing! I mean, speaking of gifts, isn't it kinda disgusting that on top of being super-dad, super-husband, super-everything, he also has an amazing voice and has written me multiple love songs?!?! It is pretty easy to love him as much as I do :)

3 comments:

merathon said...

MULTIPLE love songs? all right, that does it! he really is TOO perfect!

The Busby Family said...

That's such a beautiful guitar. Your brother-in-law is amazing. I jealous of your girls weekend. I hope we see you this winter. Great pics of the girls.

Elsie said...

EMILY!!! So as creepy as it really might be to rummage through random peoples blogs, I was so excited when I came across your blog!! Now we can become even better friends by being blog friends!! Makes my Colorado home feel a little bit closer. You really do have a beautiful family by the way!