Monday, November 24, 2008

Rethinking Christmas

People keep asking me what we're planning on doing for our girls for Christmas. And everytime I hesitate to tell them what we're doing this year because I think it must sound kind of weird. But, I think that most of what i say sounds wierd to most people, so, why stop now?!?!

This year we're ChristmaCycling --and yes, we started a blog about it:) I've picked up a few things for the girls over the past few months at garage sales, and they'll have a great time opening up what i've gotten them, not to mention what Grandmas and aunts have gotten them--so no need to worry that i'm ruining their Christmas memories forever. And we've got some fun ideas for gifts for our family members. But i will proudly say that i have not bought one single thing new from a "big-box store" and i'm hoping to keep it that way. I'm on a bit of an anti-consumerism kick (you can read more about it on that blog) and i'm loving it!

But, more important than what we're not giving our girls and family members is what we are giving them. I can't say too much here, obviously, but i've never in my life felt as good about doing anything with my Christmas budget as I do this year. And I sincerely mean that. I truly feel that we are making a difference, albeit incredibly small, and that this Christmas is going to mean more than any other Christmas before.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm intrigued! I tried to click on that link but I don't think it works.